Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Emmys Put Cable at the Kids Table

I watch a plethora of TV.






Perhaps not as much as El Guapo has pinatas, but a lot nonetheless. But every year when the Emmys come around, I realize I don't watch nearly as much TV as I think I do, or that my wife thinks I do for that matter. But it also reminds me that I should be watching a whole lot more. Especially now, in the new Golden Age of TV. The days of the big 4 broadcast networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) controlling the market are long gone. The most popular shows live not only on cable (HBO, Showtime, FX, AMC, etc), but off TV completely (Netflix). The big 4 have moved out to the suburbs, whereas cable and streaming services are living it up in the city. So why is it then that the Academy of Television and Sciences practically ignored the new kids, essentially putting them at the kids table at last night's Emmys?

With the exception of Breaking Bad on AMC and Fargo on FX, the new, hip, shows that everyone seems to be talking about were shut out of the winnings last night. Don't get me wrong, I think Modern Family is a fantastic and hilarious show. But I really don't know anyone besides me who watches it regularly. And even I have slowed down with it. Julianna Margulies is a fantastic actress, but the only people I know who watch The Good Wife are my 70 year old parents. I'm 39 and have never watched an episode. Has any member of the Academy even SEEN Claire Danes act in Homeland?! Allison Janney is great, but has anyone actually seen an episode of Mom on CBS? And Jim Parsons is funny on Big Bang Theory, but he won again? Been there, done that. Where was House of Cards and Orange is the New Black from Netflix? Where was Masters of Sex, Homeland, and Ray Donovan from Showtime? Where was Game of Thrones from HBO? (I'm excluding True Detective because it should have been submitted as a mini-series. 8 episodes does not make a series, sorry guys.) Yes, I know Julia Louis-Dreyfus won for Veep, but is she still getting credit for Seinfeld? Even SHE joked about it with Bryan Cranston when they presented together. I love Seinfeld more than anyone, but does everyone realize it's been off the air for 17 years? 17?!?! I mean, it's stil the best comedy on TV, but that's not really the point here.

Is it possible that the vets of the TV industry feel threatened by the new kids in town? The shift in power has already started to move towards non-traditional formats. Was this broadcast's way of fighting back? Listen, I understand that the Emmys aren't the People's Choice Awards. But we're not talking about bad shows here. Cable and Netflix are producing high quality programming, with exceptional performances by actors and actresses. It's high time the Academy embraces this shift in power, not reject it.

Now if you'll excuse me, there's a Seinfeld repeat on that I have to watch.

No comments :

Post a Comment