Friday, July 11, 2014

Not Enough Hours in the Day

Countless times, we've all heard the expression, "There aren't enough hours in the day". Most of the time it's said by parents. "I have to get the kids ready for school, then go to work, then pick up the kids from school, take them to soccer practice, pick them up from soccer practice, cook dinner, help them with their homework, put them to bed, then put myself to bed and do it all over again tomorrow. Who has time for TV? There aren't enough hours in the day."

And all that is fine and dandy...
...if you have kids, I suppose. But I don't. My child is my TV. And my shows. And for me, the expression "Not enough hours in the day" refers to the amount of quality television shows we have out there today. It wasn't too long ago when there were only four channels (NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC), the Big Four, that had good tv shows. That was easy. Maybe there were a couple shows a night on each network that you couldn't miss. Then HBO joined the game. So fine, five channels was doable, because HBO only showed shows on Sunday night. But now? So many channels, so many great shows. And now even non-TV channels, like Netflix, Hulu, Crackle, are getting in on the action. It's overwhelming. Now I know what Newman felt like with the mail.

And the shows keep coming and coming. Just when you think it's safe to relax, another show pops up. Or another network. It's enough to drive a man to drink. (Hmm...)

I mean, seriously, is it possible to watch every single show out there? And even now, when very few shows are "appointment viewing". With the invention of the DVR (Thank you Lord), when people binge watch...btw, anybody else have a problem with this term? Sort of a negative undertone, no? Binge drinking? Not a good thing. Binge eating? Not a good thing. Binge watching? A modern day phenomenom. I don't get it. But I digress...

The number of quality TV shows out there right now that I would consider "Must-See TV" is astounding. I'd compile a list here, but I'd rather save it for another entry. Can't peak too soon, right?

But let's really think about it for a second. If you're a TV junkie like me, you want to watch everything. But is it possible?

Well sports fans, over the next few weeks, hopefully, I will try to test the hypothesis that there are, in fact, "enough hours in the day". It's ok, I've got spare time. )

Stay tuned.

No comments :

Post a Comment